BJMsMom
BJMsMom asks:
Q:

Does my almost 3-yr old have a speech problem?

My son says lots of words quite well, but others not so well.  He does alot of babbling, too.  He's not able to put sentences together all that well, and when he wants something or sees something he says that one singular word.  I've also noticed within the past few weeks, before he says what he's going to say, he starts his sentence off with an "er" or "rer" sound, like he's not sure what he's going to say.  Example:  "Er.. ball" or "Rer... puppy".  I'm wondering if this is a form of stuttering.  Sometimes when he's pointing out different objects or people, he doesn't say "There's daddy" or "There's a puppy", he adds a "tuh" to beginning of the word he's saying.  Example:  When he sees daddy, it's not "There's daddy", it's "Tuhdaddy" or "Tuhpuppy".  And furthermore, it's often "Er.. tuhdaddy" and "Rer... tuhpuppy"  Lots of times when he says words that end with "S", he exaggerates the "S" sound... often times repeating the "Ssss" sound 1 or 2 times after the word.  Words that begin with "F" are pronounced with a "B".  "Feet" is "beet", "Fall" is "ball".  And some words are just so far off from what they're supposed to be that I don't even know what he's saying unless he points out the object.  Any advice would be much appreciated!
In Topics: Speech and language issues

|

ChildSpeechLanguage

First of all, you should be commended for being so in tune with what your child is doing from a communicative standpoint.  Although children do vary in terms of their overall language and speech development, if your child is almost 3, what you've described does not seem to be, in general, typical.

A full speech and language evaluation is recommended.  Make sure the evaluation is done by a speech-language pathologist who is state-licensed (from your state) and ASHA certified.

In addition, please see the following resources from ASHA (American Speech-Language-Hearing Association).
4
0