johuni
johuni asks:
Q:

I need a 3rd. grade explanation of the nervous system. Can you help?

In Topics: Helping my child with science

|
pigtoria
pigtoria writes:
Hi Johuni.....

I have a second grader so I was looking around for articles in which simplest terms are used to explain the nervous system so that even if he doesn't understand the mechanism of the nervous system, he'll get a big picture of where it is in the body and what it does.

The first link below is a brief explanation of the nervous system for elementary school students.  The second link below is an explanation of the nervous system for AP students but I was hoping that your child can benefit from looking at the pictures of how a neuron and brain look like.

Vicki

1
0
Hi Johuni,

A basic explanation would be that the nervous system involves the brain and nerve cells, it controls the activities in our bodies, makes sure that our heart beats and that we breathe.  It allows us to think and move our body.  It includes the 5 senses: touch, sight, hear, smell, and taste.

I believe that this is a basic 3rd grade level explanation and have included a site that may help explore this topic.  Hope this helps!

2
0