mlbever
mlbever asks:
Q:

3Rd grade reading help

I need some help teaching my 3RD grader to read better. She hates school, hates reading and math. She is failing the 3RD grade and we don't have money for a tutor. Is there anything on the web that I can look into to help her with her reading and math? I have printed out some work sheets but she hates doing them. Her homework should only take her about 1 hour a night, but we are working on her math and reading until 6 or 7 at night.( We start around 2:30) Any suggestions out there to help her do better in school?
In Topics: Helping my child with reading

|
jonathan6024
jonathan6024 writes:
you have to find out, first what is her grade level in reading, because she might not be able to read or understand 3rd grade books material. ones you have that information, go to the public library and find books on her grade level of reading with topic that she could enjoy reading or that are interesting to her. go with her and help her pick or ask the librarian, set chart or reading log with reading golds of things that she might enjoy doing or eating, an small gold is to take her to eat ice cream, and long term golds could be take her to the zoo, or children museum or the theater, this are things that you usually do anyway, just have her earn it and be proud of it. Don't rush her to read things that she is not ready for, my son is going through the same and I got that advice from a friend that is a teacher, so I'm already putting it into practice, also his doctor gave me a similar advice let me know if it help

1
0
avidal
avidal writes:
Mcruffy.com has a supplement workbook for phonics for under $20 that teaches k-3 phonics. Christian liberty press has a very inexpensive math curriculum.Progressive phonics is free phonics program.All homeschool curriculum but should do the trick.She just needs 1 on 1 learning time. The morecinfident she grows the less she will hate school.

0
0
avidal
avidal writes:
Rainbow resource has the phonics workbook I mentioned above for cheaper than mcruffy.com.Christian books.com has the christian liberty press math curriculum for cheaper than libertypress. I hear explore the code is good for phonics is not exoensive and available at christian books.Youcould also look at oter currculum at christian books.Sounds to me she really needs real curriculum and one on one time.It will actully be more affordable and better than a tutor hope this helps.homeschool reviews.com has a forum wher you could ask this same question and get much feedback frim homeschool pros.

0
0