laurawhitney
laurawhitney , Parent asks:
Q:

My 3rd Grader is having such a difficult time in Division, any tricks you can share ?

In Topics: Helping my child with math

|
jclouti2
jclouti2 writes:
Try getting paper cups and using fruit loops or cheerios.  Count out different amounts...for example, put 4 cups on the counter then give your child 33 cheerios.  Tell your child that the cups (4) are the divisor and the 33 chherios are the dividend. Then have your child put an even number in the cups.  The 1 that is left over is the remainder.  do different variations as well.

0
0
Hannavas
Hannavas writes:
In the US, long division is usually not taught till 4th grade, so I wouldn't advise going that route. If I'm not mistaken, the division is probably along the lines of 81/9 (sorry, I just realized that there is not a division symbol on my keyboard) and 90/10, right?
In this case, show you're child that division is simply multiplication mixed up. For 81/9, ask what times 9 equals 81. 9*__ = 81. Have them recite their multiplication tables up to 81, keeping track with their fingers or on a sheet of paper. 9 18 27 36 45 54 63 72 81 and then count how many numbers it took to get to 81. 9(1) 18(2) 27(3) 36(4) 45(5) 54(6) 63(7) 72(8) 81(9) or just count how many fingers they held up. This is good practice to learn division as well as practice with multiplication.

For some worksheets, you can talk to your child's teacher, you might find some here on education.com, or you can go to this website http://5baefc0ew7q1v1s8ngkix1nkg7.hop.clickbank.net/ to get some worksheets.
I hope this was helpful and not too confusing.

0
0