mawmawevans9
mawmawevans9 asks:
Q:

what is the best way to get my 3rd grader interested in reading?

In Topics: Helping my child with reading

|
I think the most important thing is finding books that interest him. If you go to your local library and tell the children's librarian a little bit about your son's interests (sports, StarWars, etc), she'll be able to recommend books - or better yet series of books - that your son may get into. You might pick a few that are at his reading level and then some others that you would read to him.

You may need to set up an incentive system to get your son started. Make a chart and let him know that for every 15 minutes he reads, he'll earn a star. When he gets so many stars, he'll earn a reward (going out to breakfast with you, buying a small toy, getting to watch one tv show, etc). The goal in doing this is not to have to "pay him to read" for the rest of his life, but just to get him in the habit of reading so that he learns how rewarding and fun it is.

I don't know how into TV or video games your son is, but another idea that some of my friends have done is to say that for every minute their kids spend in front of a screen (either watching or playing) they have to read for one minute ahead of time. So, read for 30 minutes get to watch a 30 minute show.

Even though he's getting older, it might really help to spend some time reading aloud to him every day. Curl up with him at bedtime and read a book that's exciting to him but too hard for him to read for 20 or 30 minutes. That will help him to remember all the fun thing he can do and amazing places he can go by reading books.

Also, you should check out the RIF (Reading is Fundamental) website. They have lots of great ideas - by age group - of how parents can motivate their kids.

1
0
In addition to the great advice Kat provided, I would also recommend this article from Reading is Fundamental, which has 20 ways you can encourage your child to read:

http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_20_Ways_Parents/

Today is a particularly wonderful day to begin the effort, as today millions of children will crack open books for the world's biggest reading party (in honor of Dr. Seuss' birthday) http://www.education.com/magazine/article/America_Hosts_Reading_Party/

0
0