keshiat10
keshiat10 asks:
Q:

3 year old doesn't speak

I have a 3yr old son, who will be 4 this summer and he doesn't talk at all. He does make noises, like screaming, laughs, cries, moan, and somewhat gibberish. He goes in the kitchen when hungry or thirsty. He squats or come to you when he pees/poops. But doesn't speak. He does play with his sibling and obey some commands, like sit, be quiet, or stop. He is my 3rd child out of 5. The older 2 talk fine. The 4th child tries to speak, he's just 1.
I don't have much money to take to doctor. Any advice?
In Topics: My child's growth and development

|

Dear Keshiat10:

Call your school system and request a speech and language evaluation.  Under federal law, it costs you nothing.  Your school will send you to the county services that handle these evaluations.  It would appear this is more than language/speech.  I would suggest talking to the evaluators for a more comprehensive developmental evaluation.  See if you are able to get on managed Medicaid which may enable private evaluation as well.  Call your hospital for what clinic child services may also be available to your family, but go now.

expert panelist: pediatricsWayne Yankus, MD, FAAP

1
0