Hubbell1211
Hubbell1211 asks:
Q:

My 4 1/2 yo son's preschool teacher thinks he has ADD.

My son has been in preschool for over a year and is able to write all letters of the alphabet, he knows each letter's sound, and knows around 75 sight words. At preschool they also have been working on using "sight word reader" books (some are at the 1st grade level). My son has expressed to me that school is too hard, particularly reading. We encourage him at home and read books with him at home and he happily picks out his sight words. Recently our teacher has expressed that our son is having "attending" issues or that he is easily distracted from his work. Mostly the "attending" issues occur during reading group time. Our teacher says she is trying to figure out if his difficulty "attending" is due to "I can't" (ADD) or "I won't". She said she believes it is because he can't and that maybe he should be on medication so he will be able to focus during preschool and next year when he is in kindergarten and so on. Our son is NOT impulsive, he is a great listener, friend to others, and caring little boy (sure he is active but not what I would consider hyperactive). I'm afraid expectations at preschool are too high for him (sit and read books quietly) and he is not "attending" because he becomes frustrated and does not like being forced to sit quietly and read. What should I do? How do I work out a plan with the teacher so that he continues to learn but does not get frustrated? Or are these signs (easily distracted, daydreaming, difficulty focusing) that he does have ADD?
In Topics: Motivation and achievement at school, Special needs, ADHD & attention issues

|

You know your son the best.  Check with your pediatrician regarding his last visit to see if she/he had any concerns about ADD.  if you feel the pre school is not a good fit, change schools.  I would suggest you look at the AAP website for diagnostic information and got to a CHAD meeting locally and discuss with other parents at your school whether your son is showing signs that could have been missed.

0
0

Ma2tyler
Ma2tyler , Parent writes:
My son got in trouble atleast 3 times a week in kindergarten for not listening or following directions. Was all over the classroom, talked all the time and never sat still. He never missed an assignment only missed 2 spelling words all year long. Was always the first or second done with class work and was in the top 2 if his class. But yet, because of his behavior I had 2 teachers I needed to get him tested for ADHD. It made me very angry. Not because of what they said, but how it was handled. In the middle of class full of kids and parents. Long story short, my son was tested the following year and is not ADD or ADHD. He did get diagnosed with BEING A 5 YEAR OLD BOY!! They are little kids full of energy.

1
0
Anonymous