classy1
classy1 asks:
Q:

I think my 4 year old has adhd but his school does not want to test him until he is in year 1. I don't think I can cope with another year of waiting.

In Topics: ADHD & attention issues, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Thank you for reaching out to Education.com

You don't have to wait until your child is in the first grade to have him tested for ADHD. That is the decision of your school district, but there are other facilities and individuals who are able to evaluate children before they start school. There is a concern that testing children at too young of an age could produce inaccurate results and labeling. But if your son is struggling to the point it is affecting his relationships with peers and with your family, you are smart to seek outside advice.

Some parents believe their children have ADHD but in reality the children have developed a serious behavior problem. In instances such as this, a different approach to discipline may be what it takes to correct the behavior. But you know your child best and if you feel he needs to be evaluated, then you should go with your gut instincts.

In many major cities there are Children's Hospitals which provide evaluations for young children. There are also independent providers who perform evaluations. Just make sure that the person who evaluates your child is experienced and is a licensed mental health provider. Clinical Child Psychologists should have the training for this.

If you would like referrals or to talk with one of our parenting counselors, please call our toll-free Hotline. We are here 24/7 to help parents with any issue or problem. We also have a website which is full of parenting ideas and information. Take care and best wishes to you and your son!

Cynthia, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
hotline@boystown.org

2
0

4education
4education writes:
I have a son diagnosed with ADHD. I also understand that coping with the hyperactive portion is very difficult. However, I believe your child’s school is wise in waiting until his first year before testing because at his age, all of the little ones have much energy to burn. He may show fewer signs after a year and fewer still the next year. Allow for lots of physical activity right after school and as much as you can on the week-ends. He will fall asleep earlier and this will allow for more "you" time.

2
0
cowgirl65
cowgirl65 writes:
i understand your frustration. my son is 7 and was diagnosed last yr w/ adhd. if i may ask, why do you want your son tested for adhd? what have you noticed in him  that has you concerned that he might be adhd? yes it is very stressful and takes alot of patience. dont give up on your son, as hard as it might be. i pray alot! i am a christian and believe in the power of prayer. not only for my son but for mysel so that God will provide me w/ the strength and patience and the wisdom to know how to help my son. i will be praying for you, from a mom to a mom. dont give up, fight for your son.

2
0
BasketHead2010
BasketHead2... writes:
You know I was faced with the same question and problem when my son was in kindergarten. The school would not test him until first grade. Well Igot tired of waiting and had him tested myself. I called the local physc doctor and asked who they referred children to be tested for ADD ADHD, etc.. They did the testing , my insurance covered it, so we had answers within 2 weeks. The testing itself only took about an hour. Trust me, that was 5 years ago, and I would nt ahve waited for the school any longer, now we know that he has issues, Diagonised with ADHD, ODD, depression, Bi-Polar, and many other little things. If you can get you child tested as soon as possible. The sooner the better for both yo uand your child. I have been there, and there is no reason they can not test that child in school NOW. That is their way of saying, i dont want to deal with that just yet, Go over their heads and do it yourself. With children in the school system sometimes you must take things into your own hands, as I have done many many times over the last 5 years, and get it done. Good Luck!!!

2
0
lindajklein
lindajklein writes:
school social wprker will help  if not try the school nurse if not the school administer

0
0