LittleButch
LittleButch asks:
Q:

How do i get my 4 year old to be more assertive with her peers, learn to stand up for herself and stop being a follower?

She has been bought up with positive discipline, taught to share and be nice to her peers. I have noticed though on many occasions she is “too nice” always the one backing down when there is conflict. Never getting the chance to play with anything she chooses. It is not always the older bigger kids it happens with our 2 year old nephew too.
This is just a brief I could go on and tell you many examples of the observations I have made but I am just wondering if there is reading material I could get hold of so I can direct her towards becoming a more confident kid.
In Topics: Bullying and teasing, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Confidence comes from having a high self-esteem.  Positive reinforcement is absolutely an integral part of discipline and an important part of helping your child develop a high self-esteem.  Your daughter is only 4 years old and she still learns how to be confident.  Be patient while providing instruction on how to make choices and decisions.  Help her develop responsibility and teach her to deal with mistakes and disappointments.  

Read this article on Encouraging Self-Esteem:

http://www.pluggedinparents.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=442&Itemid=0
1
0