Jacob8586
Jacob8586 asks:
Q:

What do I do about my 4 year old who continues to do the same thing over and over even though I have repeatedly told her to stop?

I have a 4 year old little girl who just continues to do what I have asked her not to do.  She has a bad habit of running, jumping and hollering in the house.  I have told her many times before that is not how you act in the house and she can only do that when she is outside, but no matter how many times I tell her to stop or discipline her for these actions, nothing ever changes.  I first thought maybe she didn't understand or remember what I was saying so the next time she was running and jumping in the house I told her to stop then asked her why I told her to stop and she told me because I'm not supposed to do that in the house and I can only do this outside.  So after I realized she knew that, I asked her why are you doing it and she replied because I want to.  Well then I told her just because she wanted to do something doesn't mean she can. Then asked her what happens when she doesn't listen and she told me I get in trouble.  After this conversation I realize she remembers and understands what I tell her, but why does she continue to do it??

|

To extinguish any behavior in a child, there must be consequences that are applied consistently: each time the undesired behavior happens.  In your daughter's case, if that does not help, you might consired a discussion with her regular health care provider about her hyperactivity. Can she sit still through a movie?  Does she fidget alot?  Does she interrupt?  Is there family history of ADHD?  What is her lead level?  ADHD and increased lead levels in the blood can contribute to behavioral problems.

0
0