mprilop
mprilop asks:
Q:

What do I do about my 4 year old daughter's new phobias?  Keep her in the uncomfortable situation or take her out of it?

My 4 year old has developed intense phobias within the past 6 months. She used to go to sleep without issues (no nightlight and we could close her door). Now we have to leave her door open while Dora or Max & Ruby play on her DVD so she can go and stay asleep. We tried nightlights but then those cast shadows which freak her out.  ALSO while this sleep issue has developed, she is now TERRIFIED of Santa, Chuck E Cheese, Easter Bunny...yet completely okay with Halloween festivities and not scared.  We can't go to her friend's b-day parties because she starts crying uncontrollably with a rapid heartbeat - her heart feels like it's beating out of her chest - it's as if she's having a panic attack and causes a HUGE scene.  It makes me sad (and worried) to see her go through this, but I don't know if I could KEEP her in the uncomfortable situation to get her "over it" or take her out of the situation hoping it'll pass with time.  I'm just concerned that these phobias will lead to others as she reaches grade school and on to adulthood.  help?!?!?
In Topics: Anxiety

|

Hand in Hand

A child becomes afraid when circumstances beyond her control, or circumstances she doesn't understand, rock her fragile sense of safety. The process of development, birth and early growth presents many moments when a child's sense of safety is challenged.

And although we consider ourselves an advanced society, many children still face deeply isolating and even life-threatening situations early in their lives. Damage is also done by the harshness, threats, and violence commonly found in movies, cartoons, and fairy tales.

To release feelings of fear, your child will choose a pretext
The situations that installed fear made the child feel helpless and powerless. To safely release the fearful feelings, she hangs her fears on a pretext that is ordinary and commonplace. This way, she can bring up the feelings at a time when there is no real threat.

As a child grows, her fears attach first to one pretext and then to another if she isn't able to get the help she needs. Your child is ready to release feelings of fear when she is acting deeply afraid of a harmless situation.

So, for instance, a toddler who was once treated in the emergency room for a second-degree burn may become terrified of having his mother brush his teeth. Or a child who spent a week in an isolette as an infant may collapse, "too weak" to take another step on a short family hike in the woods.

Fear releases in laughter

Play that helps children overcome their fears starts by giving a child Special Time, during which the grownup does whatever the child wants to do (See our booklet, Special Time, on of the Listening to Children booklets.) You are the listener. Notice what your child loves to do, and support her with closeness and approval. During this time, look for opportunities to take the less powerful role.

If your child is pretending to go to work, playfully cry and beg her not to go. If your child wants to play chase, try to catch her, but fail most of the time. If your child asks to jump on the beds, playfully ask her to jump "carefully," with enough of a sparkle in your eye that she'll know it's OK to surprise and scare you with how high she can jump.

Your child's fears will release as she laughs while you play this less powerful role. The longer you play and elicit laughter in this way, the bolder your child will become. But avoid ticking—it is not helpful.

Fear releases in crying, trembling, and perspiration

When your child's fears have seized her, she is ready to work through her deeper feelings of fear. At this time, it's your job to be as warm, accepting, and confident as you can. Don't try to change a safe situation. Your child has to feel her fears in order to shed them. Your confident presence will make all the difference for her.

Move her slowly toward the frightening situation, and hold her close. When she begins crying, struggling, trembling and perspiring in your arms, you have things "just right." She will feel terrible: you are there to assist her while she sheds that terror. You can tell her, “I'm right here and I won't go away. Everything's OK.” or, “I see how hard this is, and I'm watching you every minute. I'm keeping you safe.”

Your child will very likely protest, telling you in powerful language to go away. But if you go away or comfort her, she can't shed her fears. You need to be confident that working through the fear, safe in your arms, will help her.

Stay with a terrified child for as long as you can. The more tender and confident you are, the faster her fears will melt. Children can generally cry and struggle, tremble and perspire, for up to an hour before they are done with a chunk of fear. If you can, stay with your child until she realizes that she is safe in your arms, and that all is well. When she reaches that point, she will relax, perhaps cry deeply with you, and perhaps laugh and loll in your arms for a good long time. Her behavior will change markedly after deep emotional release.

Helping our children release their fears can be difficult work. It's surprisingly hard to let children laugh long, and to listen to the depth of their fears and griefs. You'll find that things go better when you find a listener for yourself, so that you, too, have the chance to say what you think and notice what you feel as you work hard to help your child conquer fear.

You can read more about it here: http://www.handinhandparenting.org/news/45/64/Helping-Children-Conquer-Their-Fears
1
0

graham
graham writes:
Hi Maria,

I'm sorry for your daughters problems. I'm not a psychologist, but it seems like learning new coping strategies could help her deal with these phobias. I would consult with my pediatrician as to what to do next.

0
0
Hi Maria,  I'm sorry to hear that you and your daughter are going through this.  It sounds rough!  I think it's fairly normal for kids to go through stages where they are more prone to worrying and being afraid (and as a mom, I've certainly seen my own kids go through this...sometimes they need the light on at night for a few weeks, then they're fine without it for awhile, then they need it on again, etc).  But it sounds like your daughter's dealing with something a little more intense.  

Did something happen recently that might have reduced her sense of security?  Maybe a big life change (New house, new school, divorce, new sibling, etc)?  Also, it may be that she experienced something (either when you were with her or when you weren't with her) that scared her (whether she was actually in danger or not).  I think I'd start by trying to talk to her about how she's feeling.  I've been most successful in these kinds of talks with my kids when I start the conversation at a time when they're relaxed and comfortable (like when we're in the car driving somewhere or just hanging out a home).  You may have to bring it up a few times before she's finally able (and ready) to say how she's feeling.  If that doesn't work and the behavior continues, I'd check in with your pediatrician who might suggest working with a counselor to help identify the problem.

In any case, I think I'd avoid forcing her to stay in situations that scare her for now.   You may just need to spend some time  building her sense of security back up.  Give her some time away from "scary" situations (giving her lots of hugs and love along the way so she knows you support her).  Then when she seems ready you could slowly introduce some of the anxiety provoking situations.

Please let us know how she's doing.  (And how YOU'RE doing...having a child in this situation can make everything feel upside down!).

education.com community team

0
0
kellybest
kellybest writes:
my daughter is now 13 and we have had these issues her whole life. She is doing better now because we know when to take her away from the situation. It is hard but we had to teach her how to take herself away from the situations that set her off into a panic attack.  For her it is going to school. We home school. There is no way for her to learn when she is in that mind set or panic.  You will have to learn and do what is best for your child. Put yourself in her shoes what would you want to do? Good luck.

0
0
The expert answer (Hand In Hand) is the BEST answer that you could ask for.  I agree completely!!!

Show her that she is safe in these situations.  In my opinion, by removing her from these situations, you are assuring her fears and encouraging reasons why she should be afraid.  It's better to teach her to adjust.  I believe that the expert advice will help you!

Best Wishes!

0
0