Anonymous
Q:

My 4 year old exposed himself to another adult. Is this normal behavior or is there something wrong with my son?

In Topics: My child's growth and development, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Below are examples of common normal sexual behaviors in children 2-6 years of age:

- Showing genitals to peers
- Touching own genitals
- Touching or viewing genitals of peers or new siblings
- Trying to view peer/adult nudity

The above behaviors should be transient, few, and distractible.

If sexual behaviors are escalating, frequent, or intrusive, they might signify a problem. Also, sexual behaviors that involve children of different developmental stages, or involve coercion and control by one child, are abnormal. These behaviors require immediate intervention.

If you are concerned with your child’s sexual behavior, you feel that it is not appropriate for his or her age, or the behavior escalates, talk with your child’s health care provider as soon as possible.
1
0