mama_of_2
mama_of_2 asks:
Q:

My 4 year old son has ADD, he is not on any medication and loves p[laying video games.  Is this bad for him?

Member Added on May 21, 2011
Could this be the reason he has problems holding a eating utensil? He holds it with his palm down and entire hand around it.?
In Topics: Children and video games, Technology and my child, ADHD & attention issues

|

four year olds should have a limited time on digital media regardless of the condition.  Children with ADD like video because of the constant scene changes every few seconds--it keeps them focused but does not teach them skills. Try reading a few pages at a time with him or working personal skills.Wayne Yankus, MD, FAAP

3
0

Sarpax
Sarpax writes:
It over stimulates his mind so you should control the amount of time given to him. You can use it as a reward.  Also, I have a support forum for parents of children with special needs and my son has adhd so that is a topic on my forum.  www.snparentalsupport.proboards.com

2
0
lynellen
lynellen writes:
Another thought for video games:  The position of the thumb and index finger on the game controllers can lead to an "unbalanced" hand which can affect skills such as pencil grips. Be careful which controller is used and allow for alot of time playing with smaller toys such as pegs, marbles (with adult supervision), cutting activities, picking up objects with tongs.

3
0
mama_of_2
mama_of_2 writes:
Could that be the reason why he has trouble holding a eating utensil right? He holds it with his palm downwards.

2
0
mildreddarby
mildreddarby writes:
Your child may not have a problem with video games which is true . He may need to spend some time learning how to hold a spoon correctly and not the controller. You may need to stress to him if he can't  hold the spoon then he won't be permitted to hold the video  controller.

3
0
Anonymous