Synara
Synara asks:
Q:

How do I help my 4 year son to get adjusted in the new school? (joined in mid session)

i tried my 4 yr old son's admission for Prekindergarten at a well known school but unfortunately his name appeared in the waiting list. He had already been going to a montessori where he was very comfortable and happy. suddenly in Dec i received a call from the same school that they had one vacancy and if i am interested they can offer admission to my son. i immediately approached them and he joined the school in Jan 2010 which was the mid session of that class and since then he is not as energetic and happy to go to his school as he was previously for the montessori. Upon questioning frequently he said that:
1. i dont like the big school
2. i like my previous pre school and aunties there
3. nobody is my friend here
4. they hit me and others also and i tell this to aunty and then she punishes them.
5. they all shout alot and once one of them broke buckle of my shoe etc etc.

I understand that since he joined in the middle of the session he might be having difficulty in adjusting since all others have been together for the past one year and i keep councelling him makin him excited about the new school but quite unsuccessful. this is very alarming because he had been a very good student but now i see lack of interest. i have discussed with her teacher as well, apparently she says that everything is fine. imagine he being a 4 year kid, who last week told her teacher that he is not feeling well and wants to go home and he did this twice. i picked him early and as soon
In Topics: School and Academics, Preschool, My child's growth and development

|

Dear Synara:

Transition and change is difficult for four year olds especially if they liked their previous school and school mates.  If you feel this new school offers him an advantage over his last school, stick with it. Participate yourself if you can and therefore would have mutual topics to discuss at the end of the school day. Visit with his teachers often.  In the end, if he still doesn't like it, consider returning to the Montessori system.

0
0
Anonymous