JennBeisel
JennBeisel , Parent asks:
Q:

Does my 4 year old son really have a problem?

My four year old son goes to daycare/preschool 5 days a week. His teachers are always telling me that he can not sit for an extended period of time, and he has problems with paying attention, sometimes listening, ect. Is this a normal 4 year old behavior? The school is always at me to get him "screened" for this and that, and I just do not feel it is approp. Am I wrong?
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s), ADHD & attention issues, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Dear Jenn:

Yes, this behavior is normal.  Much depends on how the rest of his mates behave and if there is anything "different" about his fidgets. Most ADD or ADHD behavior is clear before the age of 7. I would ask your pediatrician to go over with you the signs of such behavior to see if there is an issue worth evaluating.  

3
0
hummingbird26

Best Answer!

No its not wrong for you to feel this way. Who wants to dope there kid up with drugs they may not need.But when I was 6 years old a Dr. told my grandma I was ADHD but my mother wouldn't get my any help or try the med. I had a hard time all though school I couldn't pay attention to my work or my teachers the hardest was reading I could read fine but could never remember what I had just read in high school I dropped out and it was 6 year before I finally pasted my GED and I have seen alot of studys where children with ADHA had the right help and did great in school and the ones that did have ADHD didn't get help had poorer grades it is a serious decision but it couldn't hurt to ask your Dr. and maybe he is just bored at daycare your the mother you know whats best for your child

3
0

JennBeisel
JennBeisel , Parent writes:
We did decide to go and speak to someone about his behaviors and she thinks that there is a sensory deficit, not an ADHD issue at this time. We are going to move forward and have an OT evaluation and see if there are ways to help my son function better in a social setting.

1
0
lynellen
lynellen writes:
I am glad you are exploring possible sensory issues in relation to your son's behavior.  A good book that explores the difference between certain diagnosis and sensory processing disorder is Sensational Kids by Lucy Jane Miller.  You might also check when your son's behavior occurs, where he is positioned when it occurs both at home and at school.  Be sure your new therapist is willing to talk with his teacher and to help modify your son's environment both at home and school.

1
0
s.sariddene
s.sariddene , Parent writes:
No ;really it`s normal behavior and will go by time.
 my son when he was behave preschooler was doing  the same thing but the teacher told me it is not big problem and by time to will go and the teacher whom help him to get red of this habit
You can help them at home by activities that need sit down and pay attention ( crafts reading with him or coloring its... )

0
0
Anonymous