RuthAnn55
RuthAnn55 asks:
Q:

How do I get my 4 year old to want to stay in preschool?

crys and screams for me not to send her and i cant bring myself to leave her in that state.  What are my options?

In Topics: Kindergarten readiness

|

Hi RuthAnn55,

I'm so sorry to hear that your preschooler is having a tough time adjusting to preschool. It's understandable that you're going to have a very tough time leaving her while she's crying... That's never easy for a parent to see!

It sounds like she's having trouble adjusting to the new environment or school routine. To make the adjustment easier for her, try your best to maintain the same routine day after day. If mornings become more predictable for her, she'll get used to the daily routine. This will help her realize that getting dropped off at school is part of it - and so is getting picked up in the afternoon!

Try your best to stay calm. Kids often replicate the emotions that their parents are displaying. Although it's very likely that you're experiencing anxiety or troubled feelings at the thought of daily tears, try to take deep breaths and relax your face muscles.

Send her to school with a family memento or object that's special to her. My little sister used to wear a necklace that had photos of each of our family members on it. When she was sad at school, she would look at the photos and they reminded her that she would be seeing her family soon.

Below, I'm including the link to an article about separation anxiety that you may find helpful.

0
0