yesenia1
yesenia1 asks:
Q:

How can I help my 4 year old to understand different races?

In Topics: Communicating with my child (The tough talks)

|

Hand in Hand

Good for you for being sensitive to this issue! Children often do not think of race in the same terms as adults and you may find that this discussion expands both your perspectives. :-) You might be interested in this article on how children see race and racial differences to give you some more ideas.
2
0

bob , Parent writes:
Education.com has articles that you ought to read.  Type "talking race" into the search box at the top of any page and pick an article or two.  I put a link below to one article that directly deals with the topic.

This can be more difficult if you live in place lacking racial and ethnic diversity.  I was fortunate in that regard having lived part of my childhood in a suburb of San Francisco in the 60s, and having ancestors active in the actions around the American Civil War.

2
0
RazmatazDAN
RazmatazDAN writes:
try maybe showing him or her different pictures of diffrent races, and ask them if they can tell what makes them different. then when he or she says ohh he's black so he's from africa or she's from japan, just make sure she gets the details right and show her what the un-visible details are, like the foods they eat and homes they live in. Kids love eskimos, id start their.

1
1
eliad
eliad , Parent writes:
National Geographic, Discovery and other similar channels have great programs that expose us to different cultures, their traditions and rituals.
I think this is a great place to start. There are many DVD's and TV shows that will keep your child fascinated or at least interested.

If you have the financial means, travel to other countries would also be an amazing experience to your child although, This might be better when they are a little bit older so they retain the experience.

1
0
diva1234
diva1234 writes:
get some books about races. i have seen alot .

0
0