mommydot
mommydot asks:
Q:

My 4 yr old is a good eater but asks me to load the food on the fork (despite the fact he is able to do it himself). How do I get him to feed himself?

In Topics: Nutrition, My picky eater

|

A 4-year-old child should be able to feed himself.  Children this age strive for independence, and if they are provided with age-appropriate tools, they will try to be self-reliant.  To foster your son's independence, provide him with small utensils that he can easily handle with his small hands.  Expect that he feeds himself, and do not give into his requests.  If he does not eat a whole meal because you did not feed him, let him leave the table.  He will be hungry when the next meal is served!

A parent's job is to provide a nutritious meal.  A child's job is to eat it.  Schedule an eating plan: breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks in between, and a bed time snack.  That way he will eat every 4 hours or so, and you will know that he is not hungry.  Children your child's age have an inner ability to regulate how much food they need for growth.  So don't worry, your son will not starve himself!  Encourage him to be independent with his eating habits though.

Bets regards.
0
0

bob , Parent writes:
A lot of patience.  I would keep encouraging the child to take the fork himself but slow down the speed at which you feed him.  He may "get" that he'll be able to do it much better himself after a while.

1
0
kkeele
kkeele writes:
I do agree about slowing down how fast you feed him and give him finger foods that you dont use a fork with.
Hotdogs, corndogs, and raw veggies. If you see he does that just fine then leave the fork at the table even if its not needed. He will start to experiment with the fork and perhaps show off his skills in fun. I used to play with my kids when they would stab something with a fork i would make a cartoon sounding voice DON'T EAT ME!!!! Of course my kids laughed and they CHOMPED! smiles all around. I know my 4 year old had an issue of me feeding his brother who is 15 months younger and would want me to feed him instead. but when I started that game he was digging in!

0
0