smileyone
smileyone asks:
Q:

Almost 4 yr old hitting, kicking, punching and yelling

Hi I have an almost 4 yr old boy who when he can not get his own way will hit me, punch at me or even kick me.

When I ask him to stop his aggressive or rough play towards his 1 year old twin siblings he does not listen to me . I have to move towards him and he then runs off.
He has started this behaviour at kinder, snatching from other children, hitting them, pulling them off play equipment, not listening to instructions.
He seems to know what he is doing is wrong and it hurts others but he just does not seem to care. When spoken to about his behavior he says all the right things, i'm sorry, it was wrong to do that, i won't do it again, but within 5 minutes he is.
I have tried to talk to him about his feelings such as when he feels angry, scared etc and what to do rather than what he is, but nothing seems to work.
He yells at me when I talk to him about stopping what he is doing (or when i try to redirect him) or totally ignores me. He seems some what aggressive and destructive when playing alone outside sometimes and I ask him why and he tells me cause Ben 10 does that. He does not watch ben 10 and I am at a loss of what to do next. He used to be such a gentle loving child who never hit/ hurt anyone and listened to me.

Question asked after reading: http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_...

|

I am very sorry to hear about the struggle you have with your son's behaviors.  Form your description, it sounds that these behaviors started relatively recently.  Since behavioral problems that had a sudden onset may indicate metabolic disturbances, such as thyroid disease, I would like to recommend that you talk with your son's regular health care provider.  He or she will be able to rule out a medical problem.  

If medical testing provides no answers, consult with a pediatric therapist for an evaluation.  Your son's health provider will be able to recommend someone in your area.

0
0

justice65
justice65 , Caregiver, Parent writes:
It sounds to me like there is a little jealousy going on with your child toward the one year olds. You might want to try and have him help you with the babies like bringing you the diapers,carrying the baby bottles , sit down an read a book together or watch a movie together with you him and the babies that way he will feel equally loved . :-)
Good Luck ,Rose

0
0