Mrs.Batemon
Mrs.Batemon asks:
Q:

My 4 yr old is in pre-k. She is smart and can write her name well, yet at homework time when she has to write her name, she refuses.

Her teacher told me today that she is gifted and it may be just something that's boring to her because she already knows it and so on. But to me it is a power struggle i don't want her to win. Also, I do not want this problem to cause her to hate school and homework time. She loves school. I need advice before I lose it with her!
In Topics: School and Academics, Preschool, My gifted child

|

DrBMelton

You have idenitified this as a power struggle. What can you do to make this about her making the choice? Ask her what she needs to do for homework. Walk away and allow her the time to do her homework. If she does not write her name on the paper, don't make a big deal about it. Try something like: "Looks like you forgot something." Walk away and allow her to add her name. Repeat without becoming upset or nagging.

0
0