011852
011852 asks:
Q:

How else can I help my 4th grade son who was diagnosed with XYY chromosome last year and is currently failing this grade?

My son is a 4th grader who was diagnosed with XYY chromosome last year.  Has never failed a grade level but has been passing with high 70s and 80s.  He is not aggressive but very stubborn.  When pressured he shuts down and refuses to do any work.  He is constantly making noises in class, finds any little thing to annoy other people with. He is constantly burping and making gun shooting noises while teacher is giving lesson.  When asked what the lesson was about he will respond word by word of what he has heard although he seemed not to be listening. I have taken him to neurologists, counselors, phycologists. You name it I have done none have given me a diagnosis.  I also took him to a chromosome specialist but the way he was describing an XYY chromosome child was totally the opposite of my son's character.  So, I never went back with him. I have researched what and XYY chromosome child does and should do.  He has been receiving tutoring from his teacher and I am currently looking for a private tutor.  I help him the most I can with his work and extra tutoring at home but it still seems not to be working fast enough.  My current concern is that we are already at the 3rd 9 weeks of the school year and he is failing, I would not like for him to repeat 4th grade.  How else can I help?

|