Lynmlyn
Lynmlyn asks:
Q:

Should my 4th grader be left of of a school 4th grade point party at the end of the month because they didn't keep their 10 points.

Question asked after reading: http://www.education.com/magazine/article/On_Pl...

The school has started a point system.  You begin with 10 points.  Point parties are held at the end of each month.  You must have at least 1 point to attend, study hall for students who don't make the party.  End of year BIG Point Party already being promoted.  You must make it to 7 out of 8 point parties to attend this fun party.
Points taken away for late or missing work, not have parent sign student planner every day, not following pillars, not following teacher or school expectations, etc.

The teacher expectation are not clear, and my child has lost points for not answering questions correctly, having a folder missing that is kept in a bin on the shelf and not in his desk, when I forgot to sign his agenda after spending several hours at the doctors office one night.  No warnings are given, if the teacher feels that you are off task, or talking when you shouldn't be, she takes away a point.

This is causing my child to feel anxious about going to school, and if not able to attend the party, feels like all the friends will think badly of my child.  My child has always loved school, but 6 weeks into the new year, my child is having a change of attitude.

If feel like leaving a child out of a grade-wide party causes them to feel humiliated, embarrassed, unmotivated, and left out.  Their standing with peer is very important at this age.  
In Topics: My Relationship with my child's school

|