maceynicloe
maceynicloe , Parent asks:
Q:

I have a 4 year old and a 6 year old. How can I get them to mind and respect me?

i have tried every thing from standing them in the corner to time out and sending them to there rooms and nothing is working they are all ways in to every thing and calling me names and just not listening to me at all

|

Getting young children to listen is sometimes challenging.  They would rather be doing or listening to other things.  When you get ready to communicate with your children we encourage you to

1.) Remove other distractions.  Turn off the TV or computer.  
2.) Get on their level so you can look each other in the eye.  
3.) Have them stop what they are doing.  Have them put their toys down and you put away anything you are working on too.
4.) Speak in a normal voice tone.  Sometimes children interpret more how we say things than what we actually say.  
5.) After you share the information, check to see if they understand or if they have any questions.  Perhaps you could have them explain to you what you just told them.

Parents have found that following these guidelines helps tremendously in getting their children to listen.  Another approach that parents have found effective is to focus more on the good things their children do.  If every time children hear their parent's voices it is criticizing or telling them to do something, they will learn to ignore their parent's voice.  Catch them being good and let him know that you appreciate the good things they are doing.  For example, next time they come when you tell them it's dinner time, be sure to give lots of positive praise for their actions.

This is a good starting point. When you feel like you've mastered these things let us know and we'll help you through the next steps.

1-800-448-3000

3
0