Zachlynnmama
Zachlynnmama asks:
Q:

How to make a 4 year old boy to have breakfast before school?

Hi to all moms who reads my Q :) I am a Full time mom of a 4 year old boy and a 2 year old+ girl. Yes, as a full-time mom, I do home schooling to my kids. My 4 year old just started school, a month ago, and he excelled in his class, as he can read a P1 book already. My drawback is that, I didn't really put much effort in his writing skills. But the question is, my boy doesn't want to eat his breakfast before school, so with an empty stomach, he goes. It really breaks my heart! Only during the weekends, he will want to finish up his morning milk, i.e a 240cc fresh milk and any sorts of breakfast available at the table. From Monday to Friday, all things are NO to him.

I have tried talking to him all sorts, "Do you want to be smart and tall? Do you want to help your Daddy at the office?", all negative responses from him.

I even fed him B12 vitamins to stimulate his appetite. Yes, it does gave him bigger appetite than before and he will only eat and fill himself after school, and that's when he comes home. I can see that he is very hungry. It even breaks my heart heavier. Yes, my fault to shed my tears in front of him, "Why can't you just make me happy and eat your breakfast? It's for your own goodness, not mine. I love you very much and have given my entire life for you and all I ask from you is to have your breakfast and just a NO from you?", yes, he shed his tears too, but still, a no to fill his empty tummy. Please advice what I should do. I am breaking down already. Thanks.
In Topics: My picky eater, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Yes, breakfast is the most important meal of the day.  However, it should not be the reson for a battle between a parent and a child.  The good thing is that it also does not need to be elaborate!  Try to start a habit of everybody preparing their breakfast the night before.  Some ideas: a banana or cheese stick on the run, a granola bar, or celery sticks filled with peanut butter or cream cheese.  A litte something is better than nothing!

Make sure that your son gets regular meals and nutritious snacks in between to assure adequate nutrition and prevent hunger.

0
0

Lorraine4
Lorraine4 writes:
Wow! This could be a  a) A real battle of the wills. Even at the age of 4yrs we have choices. Whilst you want the best for your child, when it gets to a dead-lock situation like this, tell him, he chooses to go without breakfast, his tummy will be empty, not yours, and leave him to go to class, hungry. Give him a healthy snack at about 9.30 - sliced apple, cup of milk and a piece of cheese or a sandwich with peanut butter.(very good as a slow release energy source and very healthy for children) OR
b)He could be one of those people who get a knotted tummy through anxiety of what the day holds. You mention that he is fine over weekends, and this says to me that he is stressed on week mornings and eating early is the last thing he wants.
See how he goes after a few days. He won't starve and you are there all the time so it's not like at an away school where he may not eat anything all day and then risk getting sick.
Please don't get all emotional. It won't help, it will just allow him to manipulate you to getting what he wants.
Continue with the Vitamins and maybe even a cup of Vitamin and Mineral enriched milk drink if he will take that. He will then get the nutrients he needs. Don't make a fuss about it tho'. Let him think he is having a morning drink like mum and dad.
Just encourage him to drink fluids during the morning, especially at least a cup of water,  as this helps the brain to function well.
Hope this is helpful.

1
0
Kate_R
Kate_R writes:
start off small with 2-5 crackers with a little water. Then work your way up to hot tea with milk, orange juice, or whatever breakfast drinks you like.Good luck. By the way i wrote my expository essay on this topic.

0
0
realsmart-jayda
realsmart-j... writes:
Maybe your son wants to be early and thinks skiping  breckfest  cause he thinks it is fine or maybe he is  going to brekfest at school.or go with him to school and make him go to breckfest.

0
0
linda.theappletree
linda.theap... writes:
I suggest that you stop asking him to eat breakfast because it seems to have become a battle from which he won't back down. Instead, sit at the table yourself quietly eating breakfast with your daughter, praising her for doing so.  Eventually, he may want to join in the fun.
Also, my son wouldn't eat and we started giving him a "milkshake"...a can of Ensure with a little ice cream to make it thicker.  He loved it, and still does to this day!

1
0
Anonymous