OzMom
OzMom asks:
Q:

Is my 5 1/2 year old too young for 1st grade?  Will it be more beneficial or detrimental if I appeal for her repeat kindergarten because of her age?

Upon moving from U.S. to Western Australia, her "grade-level" was determined based on school system's date of June 30th as  grade-level determination criteria (her birthday is late June, anyone age 5 prior to June 30 is placed in equivalent of kindergarten.  She is now completing this level and will enter 1st grade in January at 5 1/2 unless I appeal. She is doing well socially and academically, but my concern is that she is the youngest in her grade level (most have already turned 6 and at least two will be 7 when new school yr starts). I don't see the need to rush her into a more structured learning situation, when if she were born only a few days later, she would be entering kindergarten and not first grade.  I don't want to "hold her back", but rather allow her more time to have a less structure and more play centered day. My general question is why rush? However will it be detrimental if I don't allow her to progress with her current class; will she be bored if I appeal to have her "repeat" kindergarten or will she benefit from being allowed to have a more play-centered learning focus for another year.
In Topics: School and Academics, Kindergarten readiness

|
CRodden
CRodden writes:
The best way to think about it is to look at her social circle.  Who are her "best" friends and how close or far are those kids from her age?  How upset will she be to have her friends advance while she is in a new group with the same teacher?  Just because she is younger does not mean she does not have the maturity to be on the same level as the first graders.  But if you think it might be better for her to be around more kids closer to her true age, then go with your gut - you know her better than the school and you can decide her long term happiness better than anyone else.

2
0
Wrilee
Wrilee writes:
My experience in working with 5 and 6 year old children is waiting and giving them more time works best.

2
0