OzMom
OzMom asks:
Q:

Is my 5 1/2 year old too young for 1st grade?  Will it be more beneficial or detrimental if I appeal for her repeat kindergarten because of her age?

Upon moving from U.S. to Western Australia, her "grade-level" was determined based on school system's date of June 30th as  grade-level determination criteria (her birthday is late June, anyone age 5 prior to June 30 is placed in equivalent of kindergarten.  She is now completing this level and will enter 1st grade in January at 5 1/2 unless I appeal. She is doing well socially and academically, but my concern is that she is the youngest in her grade level (most have already turned 6 and at least two will be 7 when new school yr starts). I don't see the need to rush her into a more structured learning situation, when if she were born only a few days later, she would be entering kindergarten and not first grade.  I don't want to "hold her back", but rather allow her more time to have a less structure and more play centered day. My general question is why rush? However will it be detrimental if I don't allow her to progress with her current class; will she be bored if I appeal to have her "repeat" kindergarten or will she benefit from being allowed to have a more play-centered learning focus for another year.
In Topics: School and Academics, Kindergarten readiness

|