Evie1
Evie1 asks:
Q:

My 5 year old is very angry at school. Does anyone have any ideas that I can suggest to school that we can work together with to try and improve the situation?

My 5 year old started primary school in September 2009 and prior to that attended day nursery since the age of 1 year with no problems.
The teacher has approached  me on 3 occassions to tell me that my son has been angry, disruptive or defiant when asked to pack the toys away and sit down for 'carpet time'.
I asked my son why he gets cross and he says he doesn't know or more recently that carpet time is boring.
This week (4th occassion) the teacher has asked me to sign a consent form for a pyscologist to assess him and his behaviour. I am devastated! I have no problems with anger from him at home or social situations involving other children and do not feel that his behaviour is bad enough to warrant this and feel that the teaching team are quick to 'label' children and then pass the buck to some other 3rd party. Does anyone have any ideas that I can suggest to school that we can work together with to try and improve the situation? If other methods do not work I will consent to the psycologist as I do not want my child's education to be hindered by this behaviour but at the same time feel that we should try different strategies before resorting to the psycologist. Please help, I am so worried about this.
In Topics: My child's growth and development, My Relationship with my child's school, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Dear Evie:

Good for you.  In the end, the schools job is to provide your son with the best of educational experiences as well as the members of his class.  He feels safe at home and probably has familiar routines. He may be "testing the waters" at school or modeling behavior from others.  Meet with the teacher and perhaps the psychologist together before the evaluation and express your concerns. At times this is a teacher-student issue which resolves with new class placement. See what happens in your meeting.

0
0
Anonymous