Cat17
Cat17 asks:
Q:

How do you know if your 5 year old boy is bored in school or just being disruptive?

I have a 5 year old son that seems to always want to disrupt his young 5's class. It shocks me as a mother that he is like this because school is the only time he acts this way.

His teacher and I have been writing notes back and forth so I am aware if today is a good day or bad day. If its a good day I reward him. If its a bad day no television or WII.

I can't be the only mom that has experienced this????

Any words of wisdom????

|

Not all five year old boys are ready to be in school full time. Boys typically mature at a slower rate than girls both physically and and emotionally. Your son may be able to do the academic work but is not yet able to sit still for long periods of time. Because of this, many parents choose to not start their boys in Kindergarten until they are close to 6 years old. This almost always proves to be a very good decision. As they reach middle school, the boys who are held back are many times more able to handle peer pressure and other social issues, and are more physically mature for sports. It seems that many parents say they regret pushing their child ahead a grade, but not many say they regret holding them back.

You can try to work with your son at home by praising him when he can sit through dinner or complete a project at the table. Help him identify when he is feeling stressed and teach him some ways to calm down and relax. Make sure he is getting enough sleep and eating properly.

Please take a look at our website for parents: www.parenting.org and visit our online catalog for more resources. Boys Town is the creator of the Common Sense Parenting program which is taught in many areas across the US. We recommend the book: "Common Sense Parenting: Using Your Head as Well as Your Heart to Raise School-Aged Children" by Ray Burke. You can find this in our online catalog at: www.boystownpress.org You can also call our Hotline or e-mail us anytime. We are here for parents and kids of all ages in all situations.

Take care and best to you and your family!

Cynthia, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
hotline@boystown.org

1
0