Ayana Rich
Ayana Rich asks:
Q:

My 5 year old cries about going to school. What's wrong?

My 5 year old has been going to daycare since he was 10 mos old - the same location.  He's now doing his pre-k there.  As of lately, he's been complaining that school is too boring.  Every night he asks the same question: "Where am I going tomorrow?"  I say school and he whimpers and cries.  When he gets homework, he's done in less than 3 mins (this is after we've gone over it). So I'm wondering what's wrong.  I haven't spoken to his teacher yet, but I hope he is not tired of school yet.  He has about 16 more years to go!
In Topics: Discipline and behavior challenges, Communicating with my child (The tough talks)

|

Talk with the teacher as he/she might be able to shed light on your son's school performance and behavior.  Perhaps he needs more challenging assignmnets to keep him interested and motivated.  Ask the teacher about your son's interactions with other children.  Do they play cooperatively, or is he teased or bullied?  That would be a valid reason for crying at a mention of going school...  Or maybe he does not want to go to school, because he does  not want to leave home thinking that something bad might happen when he is gone.  Don't forget to talk to your 5-year-old as well.  He is old enough to tell you what's going on and how he feels about it.

0
0