celispino1
celispino1 asks:
Q:

My 5 year old finished 1 1/2 years of pre school should he skip kindergarten and go to first grade?

In Topics: School and Academics, Kindergarten readiness

|
Hi celispino1,

Thanks for using JustAsk!

In my opinion, kindergarten is a crucial time for advances in academic skills, but also social and emotional learning. Kids learn skills like sharing, waiting their turn, respect, as well as communication skills. By having your child skip a grade, you're increasing the likelihood that he'll miss out on some of these important skills that come about by engaging with his peers.

Below, I'm also including a link to an article about skipping a grade that may give you some helpful information to help you make a better-informed decision.

Lastly, I encourage you to talk to your child's teacher, or a trusted school counselor about the situation. Form a team with experts at the school, that you're not alone in making such an important decision.

1
0
appu
appu , Student writes:
yes yes why not  now he is capable to going in the firstr grade. so noe u can strat his study in new way,

say best of luck to him from me.

0
1
Hi celispino1,

Although your son has been in preschool for 1 1/2 years, it is unlikely that he is eligible to skip Kindergarten.  Preschool will prepare your child for Kindergarten but they do not teach on Kindergarten level.  

It would be a terrible injustice to send your 5 year old into 1st grade unprepared without the skills that he will most certainly need from Kindergarten to achieve success.  

I've included a few links below, the first 2 will inform you about what is necessary to be able to enter into Kindergarten.  The 3rd, will inform you about what is required to be able to enter into 1st grade.  After reading these articles, you should be able to make a good decision regarding what is in the best interest of your child.

Best wishes!

0
0
mommeedearest
mommeedearest , Parent writes:
My daughter was so smart at a very young age. She was tying her shoes at 2 years old. She was invited to skip kindergarten. My family really pushed for her to skip so she could be in the same class as her cousin. My sister in law was very competitive with our children. Her daughter was 9 months older than mine. After much thought and talking to several teachers... I decided to not let her skip. My daughter had a wonderful time in kindergarten. She developed much needed social skills. I discovered later on that if I had let her skip... She wouldn't get her driver's license when her class did. She would be behind with hormones, bras, and dating and probably would have insisted that I allow her to date before she was 16. She got really good grades all through school. Now she is 31 years old. I always told her, "Build your nest, then lay your eggs!" She graduated, went to college, got a job, bought a home, then she got married! She saved $30,000.00 then had a baby. Her first child is 17 months old. I think she is every mother's dream of a daughter! She is best friends with her cousin. (They are more like sisters). My experience says, Don't skip! I knew some parents who did skip their child and every one of them told me later they wished they hadn't allowed their child to skip. Kids learn more than Math, English, etc. in school. My daughter loved school! She now teaches first grade!

0
0
zyanasia
zyanasia writes:
no. your child needs to be with people his/her age if not bullying problems occur.

0
0