urthen2
urthen2 asks:
Q:

my 5 year old refuses to eat anything healthy HELP

For about a month now my 5 year old has been getting more and more picky about eating anything healthy at mealtime.It started with him saying 'I don't like that' about food that he loves.. When he sees candy or ice cream at a store he wants that. I figured it was his way of being independent but I'm worried. Now, it has progressed to where he will refuse to eat and have a tantrum when he does occasionally take a bite he spits it out because he does not want to eat. I have tried everything i can think of to resolve this, and ease his anxiety but nothing has worked. I have tried letting him choose an item we would have for dinner. I've tried telling him thats fine you don't have to eat if you aren't hungry but when you do get hungry this is what you can have. I have tried making him finish eating even after he has thrown his fit. I've tried punishment (loss of priveledges, time out) .I've had him at the Dr.but that hasn't helped. He's losing weight and I'm afraid he'll end up in the hospital due to not eating anything healthy.
In Topics: Nutrition

|

It's not easy dealing with picky eaters...  Sounds like you already tried many approaches, including getting medical evaluation without any results.  During the least visit, your son's doctor decided that there is nothing medically wrong causing his refusal to eat.  Possibly it is psychological and perhaps seeing a child counselor would not be a bad idea. However, since he is losing weight, you should return to your son's regular health care provider as soon as possible.

0
0

azador
azador writes:
I have the same problem, only it started when he was about 7 months old. He was born at almost 9lbs, and stayed in the 75th percentile until a year old. He stopped gaining weight and within another year was in the 1% for boys his age. He is 5 and weighs 33lbs and is 3'2". He is so small. He went from being picky to flat out refusal to eat anything! He is seeing a G.I. specialist, and he may have some mild food allergies. Everything else has come back normal, upper G.I., tons of blood work and stool samples. We are going to see an allergist and from there it's the lower scope. We fear he has crohns disease. I am scared to death that he will get very sick and end up in the hospital from malnutrition. We have tried every trick in the book, all the Dr.'s suggestions, and nothing has worked. It took years of tests to convince his pediatrician to refer us to the G.I. specialist, but you may want to try. We have found out so much more in the few visits with her than years with a regular Dr.  Good luck, hope you find answers soon.

0
0