mommaw
mommaw asks:
Q:

My 5 year old is slow to read. How can I help?

my 5 year old is not finding reading easy, and seems to be very far behind his classmates, we have been into school and told he has not a problem and will catch up at his own speed, but i can not help but worry. we read together every night and he gets a little better then slips back the night after, any advise of how to 'bring im on' many thanks mommaw
In Topics: Helping my child with reading

|
LiteracyCounts
LiteracyCou... writes:
I wouldn't worry too much just yet. Most five-year-olds are just beginning to acquire the skills that they need to become successful readers. I would suggest that you continue to read to him every night. Choose books that he will think are fun and funny. Or, choose books on topics that interest him. Don't pressure him or make him read to you every night; that is more likely to frustrate him. Instead, read to him and encourage real-life writing (making a note to post on the refrigerator, for example). I've included a couple of sites that have some literacy activities. Keep it fun!

3
0
looking
looking writes:
My son was the same way. I just use to take 30 minutes every night and let him choose a book and we read it together. It does not matter if he choose the same book. If he is interested in the book then let him read it. When his confidence is up he will start to read even more and he will begin to expand in his choices.

0
0
BruceDeitrickPrice
BruceDeitri... , Teacher writes:
Five is so young. The important thing is memorizing the alphabet, and that letters stand for sounds.
Meanwhile, stress the fun poetry, rhymes, little stories, jokes, songs; anything that makes the child smile is probably a home run. Please don't let reading at home seem like a lesson. It's supposed to be entertainment.

The link is to a YouTube video of the capital letters. I also have one there for the lower case letters, and another one called: NumberS 1-10, which is my most popular creation (second link).

(Just in case, here's third link to all 41 videos; most deal with education.)

0
0
MrsReading
MrsReading , Child Professional, Teacher, Parent writes:
Hi Mommaw,

Five year old boys are notorious for being reluctant to read! My son didn't learn to read until he was in 2nd grade and here I was the reading teacher! So don't be too worried.

One suggestion would be to take some of his pictures and pictures of family members and put them into a little book for him. He can help you with the composition of text you will write. Keep it very simple, for example, "This is my mom." Then have him read it back pointing carefully to each word. Encourage him to read it "with his finger" to everyone and anyone who'll listen. If he likes this activity make other books as well.

0
0