nw808
nw808 asks:
Q:

5 yr old with anxiety and depression over school

My daughter started pre-school when she was 2. She has always enjoyed the whole experience of school so when Kindergarten came I knew it would be a breeze getting her prepared for it. When I met the teacher she kept telling me that she was a couple years away from retirement and she could not wait- I did not think that much of it at first, but now I think she may be taking her frustration out on students. When my daughter first complained I told her that she needs to get use to having different teachers and that some are more strict than others- but I have recently learned her techniques of punishment and my daughter is petrified to go to school. Then yesterday she told her step father that she hits her on the shoulder-she changed that story after we questioned her more about it. I do not know what to do or what to believe, but I am not ok with her Kindergarten experience being so traumatic for her. Oh- and she has auditory processing disorder so she already has a hard time-and this teacher makes her feel stupid in front of other kids. Please help.
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s), My Relationship with my child's school, Learning disabilities

|

Whenever a parent has concerns their child's experiences in school regarding the methods of teaching or behaviors (teacher and child) within a classroom I suggest that it might be best to involve the administration and the staff (including the teacher and any adjunct faculty such as a guidance counselor.)

Also, a child with an auditory processing disorder should be considered "in the loop" with any special education teams in school, even if on a monitoring basis only.

Louise Sattler, NCSP

1
0
Anonymous