pomom asks:

Anyone know of a 504 plan for a Kindergartener with fine motor deficits?

My son is in a public school Kindergarten program.  He was recently diagnosed with "fine motor deficits" that is causing him to have great difficulties in school (writing especially). He has "qualified" for the 504 plan, but I'm not sure how they are going to address his "fine motor issues".  He also has some "attention" concerns that were determined as "not clinically significant".  Any suggestions?
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness, Helping my child with writing
> 60 days ago



Feb 7, 2011
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

You are being proactive in making sure what is on your son's 504 plan is in his best interest.  Go into the meeting prepared and then continue to monitor his progress and the plan.

There are local ESE organizations throughout the country that offer advice to parents with special needs.  I would try contact one of them to see if any has an advocacy program.  

Now that your son has been diagnosed you could also refer to a private therapist that could offer some good advice.  This person may have to do some additional test after looking over your son's records and test result, but could give you advice on what the school should or shouldn't be doing in order to help him.

Good luck.

Barb K

Did you find this answer useful?

Additional Answers (1)

Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend Education.com to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely