kenhartwig
kenhartwig asks:
Q:

in 5th grade do they need to know all states in america? and were they are at on the map?

In Topics: Helping my child with social studies / history

|
pigtoria
pigtoria writes:
Hi Kenhartwig....

Years ago when I was in 5th grade, we need to know the name of all the states, their capitals, as well as their location on the map.  With our push down curriculum, I am not surprised that children are expected to know this knowledge by 4th grade.  But yes, definitely by 5th grade children should know this information.

Vicki

0
0
jmamable
jmamable , Caregiver writes:
Yes, I remember devoting at least two months in my 5th grade class to learning all the states and their capitals! If you're looking for a little reinforcement, this website actually has tons of worksheets that will drill you on the states and capitals. I've included a link below to get you started.

1
0
Hi kenhartwig,

Yes.  When I was in 4th grade we studied the states, capital, population, flower, etc. and had to be able to fill in the state name on a blank map.  We each had to write the chamber of commerce  and ask for information regarding travel or tourism information and using the materials write an essay.  It was a lot of fun!! (but it was a long time ago)

I've included some links to get you started.  My daughter is only in 3rd grade, but we've already started working on some of this at home. I've included some links to get you started.  It's still fun!!

Hope this helps & have fun learning!

1
0