Anonymous
Q:

Should 5th grade students be treated as middle school and organized like middle school students changing classes/teachers?

In Topics: Cognitive development, Motivation and achievement at school, Worldwide education issues

|
kellysfinn
kellysfinn , Parent writes:
Many schools start having separate teachers for the core classes anywhere from fourth to sixth grade.  Different reading, math, science, and elective teachers mean that the teachers specialize in that one subject and therefore hopefully are experts in teaching that subject.

I think that other things, like the homeroom dynamic, the student's relationships with the core teachers, and the amount of communication among teachers (do they let each other know when tests are scheduled or when a student is falling behind?) may be the more important factors influencing student success.

0
0
ronald
ronald writes:
I do not think there is a right or wrong answer to this question, but there has been a lot of experimentation designed to find the best answer for the middle school configuration. During the last 40 years we have seen a move from junior high schools (7th and 8th grade) to middle school (6th, 7th and 8th), and from middle schools to K-8 schools. Years ago, the impetus for the move to middle schools centered around educators' belief that the transition from elementary to junior high was very challenging for students. Hence, the middle school configuration organizing 6th-8th together gained momentum. Additionally, in middle schools , educators wanted to offer a richer/stronger curriculum and have teacher specialists for more subject areas. In theory subject area experts teach the core areas in middle school and students receive a more academic experience. Increasingly today, some educators and parents feel that 6th grade students are NOT ready to socialize with 8th grade students. Hence, there is move towards K-8 grade students together. I am not aware of momentum towards expanding middle schools to INCLUDE 5th grade. You may be interested in the following article:

Ron

0
0
Slevin
Slevin writes:
I am a fifth grade teacher in a middle school (5-8). We do a lot in the spring and summer to help the students make the transition from the elementary schools. Being that fifth graders are at the beginning of the adolescent period (10-14 years old), I feel that it is a good fit for them. They transition well, but our building is also set-up so that fifth grade and eighth grade are not near each other. I would rather see fifth graders in a middle school than an elementary school - I think it is a better fit for them.

0
0
Anonymous