suzie1954 asks:

How can I help my 5th grader with his cell model science?

My son is in 5th grade he has a science project on animal cell we need help starting the project.
In Topics: Helping my child with science

Hi -
this is a fun project that you can enjoy helping him with. First you will need to have a good diagram of an animal cell and its "organelles" or parts. You can use a round pie pan to hold the model. In it you will make a batch of jello - lemon is good for the color. The jello will represent the cell's cytoplasm. Then you can match the organelles to various things that look like them. For example, a slice of orange with the flesh removed might be the nucleus. Inside it you can include some pasta that looks like the DNA. Spaghetti might represent the endoplasmic reticulum. Slices of banana might be vacuoles, and so forth. Be creative and be sure to include a key to the model or label the parts with little flags on toothpicks. Take a photo of the end result for his portfolio.

Michael Bentley
Expert Panel, Science Education