Q:

How to help my 5th grader with homework? He makes it sound as though he hasn't grasped anything in class.

"Hi there, My son is in 5th grade and has a slight learning disability. When it comes time to do homework he says he doesn't know what to do. He has teachers that help him in his classes. I just get so crazy trying to help him when he makes it sound as though he hasn't grasped anything in class.

Is anyone else out there having this problem....
I am willing to take any advice. Thanks."

Asked by Kay after reviewing the activity, "Write an Art Project Proposal":
http://www.education.com/activity/article/Art_P...
In Topics: Learning issues and special needs, Helping my child with school work and home work

|

greenprof2

Hi. My daughter has a learning disability as well. She struggled for years but as a result of a combination of help in her regular classroom and a couple of years of additional after school tutoring she learned how to organize herself to study and learn. Many kids with LD issues really need to learn how to organize themselves to study effectively. My daughter developed a number of strategies to do this, but different strategies work for different kids. We first became aware of our daughter's learning issues when she was in second grade and her tutoring occurred in the later elementary grades. She got her strategies down so well that she became a top high school student and is now making straight "A"s in college. The worst thing you can do for your son is to try to do the studying for him. He has to take responsibility and work on his issues. KNOWING his issues is the first step for both of you and this is where getting that expert outside advice will come in.  Good luck!  
Michael Bentley, Expert Panel Member

0
0