Mindygail1
Mindygail1 asks:
Q:

How can I get my 5th Grader interested in reading books?

My Son in 5th Grade hates to read. How can I get him interested in reading?
In Topics: Helping my child with reading

|

ChildSpeechLanguage

There are a few things you may want to consider:

1.  Does your son have access to a variety of books or reading material, ESPECIALLY on subjects that may be of interest to him?

2.  Do you take him to the library or to bookstores on “field trips” to let him explore his favorite area(s) of interest?

3.  Is there enough time scheduled in his day for reading? Some children are so inundated with activities and obligations that they don't have much free time to read leisurely.

4.  Do you feel he is spending too much time on video games, television, or out playing with friends?  If so, it's up to you to restrict his access to those things and to encourage more quiet reading time.

5.  Does your son see you and/or other members of the family regularly reading?  
 Many times children associate reading with being more “academic” or “boring” than just “fun.”  When he sees others in the family read in a non-school setting, it may help him gradually associate more pleasant, or at least neutral feelings about reading.

And finally, a very important consideration--does your son have any difficulty understanding what he is reading? You can test this by asking him to read along with you for a few paragraphs, and then ask him some questions about what you just read.  

If you do find your son has trouble with reading comprehension, it may be a good idea to consult a reading specialist or a learning specialist.  Check with your son’s school to see if there’s one on staff.

0
0

garrettgum123
garrettgum123 writes:
I am a 5th grader as well. I LOVE reading!! Some books I read are good. He just needs to find a series good for him. I suggest The Shadow Children books!! They are good!!

0
0
Gr4Teach
Gr4Teach writes:
Find out what his interests are, and get books on those topics - even if just below his grade level.  The key is to get him interested.  My brother would only read Hardy Boys and Star Wars in fifth grade, but he has learned to love to read more as an adult.

0
0