momof2424
momof2424 asks:
Q:

how to help my 5th grader learn his multiplication?

I have a 5th grader who should have been in 6th grade this yr but was held back into his 1st grade yr. He struggles everyday with math. He has ADHD and Asperger. And it is really hard for him to focus. I have decided to home school him because he is just falling further and further behind in school and cannot keep up with his classmates. It kills me to see him struggle like this. We are just working on multiplication right now and the basic only because he cannot go on without learning it first. I have ordered the math u see program for learning it but I was just wondering if anyone out there has any other options. I am at my wits end and so is he. We are both getting very frustrated. I have him write them, we do flash cards, we have tried everything and I feel hopeless.
In Topics: Learning disabilities, ADHD & attention issues, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

Get a one on one tutor if you are able.  Get someone who understands his needs.  Also an understanding teen can be a helpful learning assistant. By home schooling, you have saved him the angst of classmates, but you have removed him from the federal entitlements of public school.  Speak to your special ed administrator and see if there are groups of home schooling parents who would perhaps meet on some of these learning issues for children.

0
0

mystiaras
mystiaras writes:
Timez Attack is an excellent game for practicing multiplication and division. They have a free download version that is awesome. It has helped our daughter greatly. http://www.bigbrainz.com/

We also have subscribed to www.adaptedmind.com for less than $10 a month. It covers all areas of math through 5th grade, including multiplication. This program has helped improve our daughter's interest in math even more, as she can see her own progress.

0
0
heatherpatton
heatherpatton writes:
Try to encourage him in studying, make him understand the importance of education.

0
0
Anonymous