TAKESHAC
TAKESHAC asks:
Q:

how do I help my 5th grader pay more attention in school?

In Topics: Motivation and achievement at school, Helping my child with school work and home work, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

luckypenny
luckypenny writes:
reward your 5th grader with praise and encouragement. talk with him/her about how good life is when we are in control and know what's happening. find out if the subject teacher is boring! get your kid to talk and tell you something funny about the teacher, next lesson, your kid will be paying attention to the teacher, if only to find something quirky or funny or boring that your kid can tell you about. the more you (as a unit, not you personally) talk, the more valued your kid will feel. sometimes, when they're going on about goofy stuff, don't shut them up, let them get it all out and laugh at their antics, tell your kid about how you did that at school too, and you have a good connection going on... then you tell stories about goofy things at school when you were a kid, but then conclude about how it worked out because one day you did well by paying attention and it made you feel really good. your kid will yearn for that too. so they can contribute their experiences about achievement as part of your chats.

2
0
Anonymous