CAYLA
CAYLA asks:
Q:

how can I help my 5th grader to read and like doing it.

In Topics: Cognitive development, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Great question! It can be very frustrating when a parent tries to encourage their youth to read more while they are more interested in playing video games or hanging out with their friends.

There are a couple of things you may want to consider before you jump into an action plan to get your child to read more. First, do they have access to a variety of books or reading material? Do you take them to the library and let them explore their own areas of interest? Also, do they have enough time to read? Some children are so inundated with activities and obligations that they don't have much free time to leisure read. Another thing to consider is if your child has a tough time understanding or comprehending what they read. Sometimes kids don't do well in a particular school subject or activity because it's very difficult for them and they are embarrassed and afraid to tell someone about it. You can test this by asking them to read along with you for a few paragraphs.

If they are simply spending too much time on video games, television, or friends, it's up to you to restrict their access to those things.

Spend some time assessing why they may not be interested in reading, but remember that it's also very normal for a 5th grader to be more interested in physical activity such as going out and playing with their friends rather than reading a book.

Take Care!
1-800-448-3000

1
0

LDSolutions
LDSolutions , Child Professional writes:
To read for pleasure, the reading needs to be easy.  If it is hard work the child will not enjoy it. I always advise parents to find a book that is one to two grades below the child's reading level.  Try some of the Diary of a Whimpy Kid series, Hank Zipzer series, Judy Blume.  The kids in 4th and 5th grade really love these.  I have figured out that the reason they like these books so much is because they are all first person narrative which is much easier to read then a heavy description book.  Start with some of these fun books and eventually move forward.  Also, if a child reads books with language he/she is familiar with they will enjoy it more as well.  For example if your child loves soccer then focus on soccer stories, biographies of famous soccer players, etc.

2
0
michelleb_002
michelleb_002 writes:
I have been having the same problem with my son.  He is a 5th grader and they do the AR points each month on a certain list of books.  I tried everything to help get him interested in the list of books.  I even tried reading them to him.  Nothing seemed to work.  Then I went to the library intent on finding something off that stupid list my kid would actually try to read.  I found a "play away book".  I also got him the book in actual print so he could follow along as the book was being read.  So far, it has worked.  He has almost finished the book and he is actually comprehending the material.  Most importantly it is building his self confidence.  He doesnt have to stop and ask me what that word is anymore.  Best of luck to you and your child.

2
0
drew123
drew123 writes:
if you find a series they might like they will want to read all the books.
"alex rider" was a series I liked.

0
0