amaritogob
amaritogob asks:
Q:

My 5yo pronounces K as T and G as D

She will turn 6 on April next year and I am a little worried about her pronouncing this 2 letters. So instead of saying "OKay", she'll say "O-tay" and instead of "God" she'll say "Dod". She doesn't have problems with other letters though and she speaks clearly. But when we teach her that when you say "K" your tongue shouldn't touch your palate,she can't help move her tongue up. Should I be concerned? Should we go and see a speech pathologist?
In Topics: Speech and language issues

|

ChildSpeechLanguage

At 5 years of age, there are still some sounds such as /r/, /v/ and /th/ that some children may still have difficulty saying correctly; however, the /k/ and /g/ sound should be produced correctly by this time. If your daughter is still having difficulty with these sounds, it is a good idea time to have her evaluated by a speech-language pathologist (aka “Speech Therapist”).  

You could either go to a private Speech Therapist or have her evaluated by the public school system.  School systems are required to provide speech therapy to children 3 years and older who need it at no cost to parents.

0
0