mmosteirin0811
mmosteirin0... asks:
Q:

How can I get my 5yr old ADHD/ODD son ready for kindergarden?

Hi everyone!!  I'm new here and need advice.  My 5yr old son will be entering kindergarden this year and I just found out that he has ADHD/ODD.  How can I help him get ready for kindergarden and how can I help myself get ready as well?  Thanks in advance for the advice.
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness, Learning disabilities, ADHD & attention issues

|

Dear Mmosteirin:

Speak to your pediatrician who knows the situation with you the best.  Second, take him to the school and if possible his classroom in advance. See what distractions are there. Meet his teacher and remind him/her about ADHD. Children with that condition are entitled to a 504 designation giving them benefits to make learning better in most cases. Third, Speak to your special needs coordinator and ask what they have found works for their kindergarteners as introduction to the year. What exercise breaks do they take? What recess? to burn off some steam. Finally, I would be sure there are no immediate medication changes unless necessary before school starts then ask your pediatrician for the Connors or Vanderbilt scales for teacher assessment of his progress.

Best wishes.

1
0

Anonymous