mmosteirin0811
mmosteirin0... asks:
Q:

How can I get my 5yr old ADHD/ODD son ready for kindergarden?

Hi everyone!!  I'm new here and need advice.  My 5yr old son will be entering kindergarden this year and I just found out that he has ADHD/ODD.  How can I help him get ready for kindergarden and how can I help myself get ready as well?  Thanks in advance for the advice.
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness, Learning disabilities, ADHD & attention issues

|

Dear Mmosteirin:

Speak to your pediatrician who knows the situation with you the best.  Second, take him to the school and if possible his classroom in advance. See what distractions are there. Meet his teacher and remind him/her about ADHD. Children with that condition are entitled to a 504 designation giving them benefits to make learning better in most cases. Third, Speak to your special needs coordinator and ask what they have found works for their kindergarteners as introduction to the year. What exercise breaks do they take? What recess? to burn off some steam. Finally, I would be sure there are no immediate medication changes unless necessary before school starts then ask your pediatrician for the Connors or Vanderbilt scales for teacher assessment of his progress.

Best wishes.

1
0

KrisWhite
KrisWhite writes:
My suggestion would be to get him on a structure schedule now. He will do so much better when he gets to the classroom. Keep him bust with school type activities such has learning his letters and numbers in a fun way; count cars, signs etc, point out things that begin with the letter. My son needs to be busy, if he has idol time it is difficult for all. Strcucture Tv and Video time as well.

0
0
lynellen
lynellen writes:
5 year old ADD/ADHD boys can be so much fun if their wiggles can be managed.  You might look at the "Sit and Move" cushions from www.theraproducts.com to see if one would help him stay in his seat alittle longer.  Its important for him to have something to do when he is asked to listen as in center time.  If the teacher will allow it, purchase an item that he can squeeze like a stress ball or toy.  Many kindergarten teachers have a great understanding of how to maximize learning.  Be sure and talk to her/him before school starts so they get "off on the right foot"!

0
0
momosan1
momosan1 writes:
My son was diagnosed with the same thing...along with high functioning autism. I think what helped him in Kindergarten was he began preschool at age 18 months. But on the other hand, it was still  hard for him to stay still and seated for long periods of time. And if he saw an object of interest, it took alot to have him "come back" to the task at hand.   I thought he would have a hard time academically, but direct opposite. He was ahead of his class! Definitely stay involved. Ask teacher questions. Get weekly updates if you have to. Have faith, he will be fine, and so will you :)  Good luck :)

1
0
Anonymous