boomer_rang
boomer_rang asks:
Q:

need help with my 5yr old boy

my son has been at school for just about a year and from what i have heard and seen he has not learnt anything also been told by his teacher they are getting a special teacher from RTLB. He is 5yr just about 6yr and he cant say his ABC count to 10 and don't no what numbers look like from 5 ,read a simple book (i am a dog) he is having trouble with every thing reading writing and maths etc:
from what i have noticed is that he cant remember anything to do with learning his teacher has told me the same thing. when trying to get him to say his ABC it really upsets me i try not to let him see but it does get me real angry i no it shouldn't but when i have sat there for about 20 min on just 4 letters (big cardboard ones) and he still don't no them its just to much as i have 2 other children wanting my attention to i no the school is trying to help him but what can i do to help him that is not going to upset him confuse him or make him not want to learn.
i have tried memory games yup he can play just takes like 20 min just to get 10 cards and that's only after hes been though them like 20 times i must sound like I'm useless but i would really like some help what can i do to help my child thank you
In Topics: Helping my child with school work and home work

|

Hand in Hand

I'm sorry to hear your son is having such a hard time with school. It sounds like you are in a very frustrating situation. Have you spoken with your pediatrician? It would be interesting to know if your son is hitting his other developmental milestones on a similar timetable.

No matter what his personal growing and learning schedule may be like, he can always benefit from your loving attention. I've attached an article on Getting Through School Struggles that focuses on reducing stress--for both of you!--and working through any stress that might be making it hard for your son to do his school work.

I hope it's helpful for you both,

Juli
Julianne Idleman
Hand in Hand Program Director
http://www.handinhandparenting.org
0
2