Anonymous
Q:

how do i get 5yr old child's nose out of the t.v & or active?

In Topics: Children and screen entertainment (TV & movies), Technology and my child, Exercise and fitness

|

JeanneBrockmyer

It's great that you want to address this issue!  The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children this age have very limited TOTAL screen time--1 hour or so-- per day.  That includes TV, movies, and computer time. So you will need to help your child be very selective about how that time is spent each day. It will be important not to make a change seem like a punishment so you need to have alternative activities available.  What other things does your child enjoy doing? Being outside in decent weather is a great alternative. Art projects, age-appropriate books, puzzles, and games or anything that sparks creative play like dressing up are all good bets for the colder weather that's coming soon.  This may require a bit more of your time initially, but it is an investment that will pay off in the long run! And be aware of your own TV habits because children learn a lot from their parents' actions as well as their words.

Jeanne H. Brockmyer, Ph. D.
education.com expert clinical child psychologist

0
0

maryeve
maryeve writes:
3 weeks ago, i told my children (5 & 7) that if they could convince me that tv was educational or that they actually learned something from it, i would change my mind on the new rule. the new rule being: no tv monday thru friday (friday night only). no exceptions. and no video games. after one week they quit asking AND they watch less tv on weekends. i find them playing social games, reading, playing with their toys, running around outside. a huge plus in all this, we get more family time. :)
you don't have to go as extreme as i did, but it's just a thought. good luck!!

1
0
momosan1
momosan1 writes:
Please do not take this the wrong way but........turn off the tv!   Who runs the household...you or your child?

3
0
LouiseSattler , Child Professional writes:

Unfortunately, I have seen this question pop up on JustAsk (in various forms) numerous times... and my answer is usually make other activities seem really cool!  For example, chalk, water and a sidewalk make for a fun outside activity.  Left over arts and crafts items, glue stick and kids stickers can be the beginning of creating a doll house or a rocket/ car!

Let your child go through magazines and books at the library with fun activities.  Then help them with some simple guided direction get started!  Once kids see how much fun NON-TV activities can be then they will more than likely be open to new ways of having fun.  (Also, parents should set the example and turn off the TV, too!)

And if you really want to add incentives- check out TOYCONOMY- this is a lender library for TOYS and GAMES! Wow! http://www.Toyconomy.com. They are running promotions now:  
Sign up to become a TOYMember for $1.00 and get your next two months free OR get 25% off a NON-Member order. Simply email them at  
orders@toycononmy.com with the words "FUN GAMES" in the subject line.

Happy playing!

Louise Sattler, Psychologist

0
0
pashun84Him
pashun84Him , Teacher, Parent writes:
I think this is one of the greatest challenges we face as parents.  WE have to choose not to allow ourselves to be so busy that we can't "help" our child make a better choice other than television.  

I recently started homeschooling my 3 older children (7, 5, 4) and I have a 10-month-old.  It was a shock to me at how much I relied on the T.V. to distract my kids so that I could get things done around the house.  Upwards of 4-6 hours a day of sitting in front of the "moving picture" as my husband calls it!  Harsh realization I must say.

It was around that same time that we joined our church in doing a "media fast" for a week.  That meant no tv, no video games, no internet in order to come together as a family more often.  What it forced us to do was be creative.  We found new things to do together (one of our favorite games to play is UNO).  We have made a life-style change.  We now spend more time together as a family.  

A great tool for me has been the "bored chart" idea which I stole from a friend!  You make a list of things they can do when they come to you saying they are bored... i.e. play-doh, coloring and the sorts.

Its not easy... especially for the first couple of days.  However, if you are willing to give your child 20 minutes of uninterrupted play WITH you... they will be much more likely to be willing to play on their own.  I am also in agreement with one of the other responses about simply turning the TV off... or even unplugging it!  Bring things back into a peaceful alignment in your home by teaching he/she that YOU are the parent and he/she is the child!

With hope for new direction!

DeeDee
(Stay-at-home Mom of 4)

0
0
surkaikandace
surkaikandace , Parent writes:
Usually children who are bored at home, finds it easier to sit in front of tv instead of doing anything else....as a parent, it is our job to bring out our creative side with planning activities.  If your home alot or don't have the money, set time aside to play a board game, paint, or have the child pick something to do that is interesting to him or her.  Setting limits to t.v. is a good way too.  Put music on instead, or say hey what is your favorite band, and buy him a cd, so while he is doing other activities, his favorite music might make it more fun if he is drawing or whatever activity he likes.  Ask him what he likes to do, and then get involved with him.  If he likes to play basketball for instance, take time to go a shoot some hoops with him, and invite a friend along.  It is really important to find some time to do things with our children.

0
0
Anonymous