Anonymous
Q:

I have 6 year boy in 1st grade, teachers always complains that he is not concentrating on the class, and give me hard time to teach him at home?

My child had speech delay he starts speaking at 3 years of age, still not catching student in his age, when I speak with him I try to divide words and speak slowly, he have problem in concentrating in science class, he is very good in math, his reading is very slow and not saying all the word correctly, I need sometimes to repeat for him 4- 7 times so he can say it, please help me how I can deal with him and how to communicate with him for better understanding?
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s), Learning issues and special needs

|

You are describing your son as having strengths in math, but struggling in reading, science and classes where reading is necessary. A speech delay can indicate a learning difference for him. He needs more attention and assistance.

The activities you describe are excellent. You may consider having him in a reading program this summer. The school may suggest programs in your area to help him.

If these issues continue (attentional problems, reading difficulties), consult with the school counselor about what services are available to help him improve.

2
0