tms2010
tms2010 asks:
Q:

How can I help my 6 year old like her computer class?

She only attends once a week for 45 minutes. She is terrified of the teacher. She has stomach aches, chest pain and general nervousness before her class.    
In Topics: School and Academics, Working with my child's teacher(s)

|

It sounds like this teacher isn't the best match for your daughter.  Here are a couple of suggestions that might help in this situation.

Observe.  Ask if you can sit in the back of the room while the class is taking place.  This might give you some insight as to why your daughter doesn't like being there.  Is it really the teacher?  Maybe it is another student, can't see the board, or she doesn't understand what to do.

Ask if she can be switched to another section that has a different teacher.  We need to realize that not all personalities get along.  I always tried not to play favorites, but I can honestly say there were times when I could have done a better job at that.  

Talk to other parents.  Ask them what they notice.  Do their children like or dislike the class and why?  They might see things differently.

Is there a payoff for your daughter?  When she complains, do you make deals with her like if you go to class, we can get ice cream afterwards?  If I knew I was going to get something like that, I would complain all the time.

If you can give us some more information, we might be able to give you some more ideas of how to help your daughter.

Good luck,
Barb Kruger
www.LessonPop.com

1
0