Q:

What to do about my 6 year old son who has been caught lying and has taken money, but doesn't show regret?  

"My son just turned 6. He is a younger kid and has always been very loving and caring; his father pets him a lot. He is also comparatively more mature/informed than his older brother was at that age; knows more about computers, bad words etc. He has a great fascination with money; always playing with our change box. Last year I found $20 hidden in the children's bedroom. When confronted, he stayed quiet but admitted it. I spanked him, explained the consequences to him and made him say sorry to God. Later on, I found in a school meeting that he had taken it to school, his teacher had found it and had actually given him a note to give to me, which he had torn. She always trusted him because he is an exceptionally good student. I was shocked at the elaborate cover up. When I confronted him again about the lying, he again did not show any signs of regret. Today he came to me at school pick up time and said that a friend's mother gave him $6 to buy school supplies. I was shocked that he had asked someone else. We are quite well off and the children get a lot of things. Again I scolded him, but he just shrugged his shoulders. When we came home, and I started hunting for the phone number of the friend to return the money, he stepped up to me and said, no he had actually taken the money from home...I made him apologize...but again there are no tears. Very worried. What should I do?"

Asked by Leena via email.

|

Sounds like your son has fallen into a pattern of lying that might need help of a trained professional, like a psychologist.  He sounds to be a good student, and a good child over-all, but has developed a bad habit.  Get him help as soon as possible, before this habit gets progressively worse.

Children and Lying
http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_families/children_and_lying

0
0