bettyboo
bettyboo asks:
Q:

How do you get a 6 year old  to like writing and reading? He won't write or read. When I try and sit with him to do it, he just keeps crying or gets in a mood.

In Topics: Helping my child with reading, Helping my child with writing, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Try to not pressure your son to like reading and writing. Instead, model your own love of reading and writing by making sure that he is seeing you read and write. Have a time each day when the TV and the computer are turned off. Leave paper, simple activity books, markers and pencils on hand. Set aside a certain time of day such as before bed, to read to your son.

As long as he is showing progress in school with reading and writing, you don't need to worry about it too much. Stay in touch with his teacher. If he shows the same resistant behaviors at school, you may want to have his eyes tested. Young boys in general don't do well with sitting for long periods and an experienced teacher will understand that.  If you are homeschooling your son, then you may need to develop different strategies for teaching him.

If you would like to talk to a counselor about this or any other parenting issue, please call or e-mail our Hotline. We also have a website for parents which is listed below. We are available 24 hours, 7 days a week. Take care and best wishes to you and your family!

Cynthia, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
hotline@boystown.org
www.parenting.org

2
0

Dr_Xavier
Dr_Xavier writes:
Actually, I have a question and then an idea: What does your son like to do?
There must be something: Video games, cartoons, ice cream. Here at the Global Education Council (GEC) we always encourage blending teaching with something the child likes to do. One of the best things for a child that likes cartoons, movies, etc is to turn on the closed caption feature on your TV (or DVD/Bluray player). This enables the child to see the words that are spoken on the show.
Something even better is if the child frequently watches the same type of shows. Also, if your son likes superheroes then buying a few comics of his favorate charcters can be very effective. When you show him the comic he can see the images but not know what is happening. The key is to use his interest to hook him in to reading. Let us know how this turns out. Dr. X

3
0
kaicee
kaicee writes:
The best things I would try is always let your child watch you read, make out your shopping list with your child, always allow access to books with pictures and words ( I still like the pictures! lol)  These are the typical ideas given by professionals.  I myself would add... set at a table and draw bubble letters or different types of writing in different colors, paints, markers, pencils, even gluing paper or twigs.  Let your child see you having fun with it ask about it and let them try it when it doesnt seem like something they have to do, make it something they want to do.  Creative writing at that age for me is anything goes as long as they are enjoying it!  I would continue the other ideas as well.  U can always take puppets and do a play with your child where they have to read thier lines, or have them read a recipe to you while making something in the kitchen.  I am not a professional but I am just offering ideas.

0
1
fehdes
fehdes writes:
hi,let your chid look at books as fun and enjoyable.don't force him,let him choose reading mterial,even if it is comic books.he must develop a love for reading.with writing ,try introducing him to keeping a diary,he can record his daily routine,even if it contains drawins , it is a start to putting pen to paper.good luck.

1
0
Karate~mom
Karate~mom writes:
Sounds exactly like my daughter was. Kinder was a waste of time to me. Lack of focus, cried when asked to read and do homework. School counciler suggested starfall.com, it helped. Its a website for kids to interact with spelling and reading, she loved it. But she didnt catch on to starfall until after she joined tae kwondo at 6yrs old, now 10. It was like a trigger happened, it made her disciplined and focus, which she lacked, therefore she cried when reading. She went in 1st grade with a pre k reading level 5, to a 20 , in just 6months. Years later with my confident blk belt in 5th, now is at a 8th grade level and loves to read to me and to herself every night. Make reading fun, not a chore.

1
0
TeacherandParent
TeacherandP... writes:
Read aloud to him from fun books. Let him experience literature with you doing the reading. Not every child is ready to read at 6. Let him fingerpaint to build his fine motor skills. Play with play dough and you can make alphabet letters and numbers out of the playdough.

Things that feel hard aren't fun. Ease him into reading and writing by reading to him.

0
0
idrocks12
idrocks12 , Student writes:
To help with your son use discipline and trick his with a snack for example:
call your son's name and say do you want a brownie he will say "yes" and
you tell him in a firm voice "if you want that brownie that read that book.
Then your son will read the book

0
0
Anonymous