nooreman
nooreman asks:
Q:

6 years old boy still bed wetting. OK to wake him up once at night to let him go to the toilet?

My son's 6 years old & he's bed wetting since we started toilet training at the age of nearly 2 year & 6 month. We tried using alarm but it didn't work.

Recently we took him to the doctor and make x-rays & urine analysis & it was ok. He's taking minirin desmopression tab. .2 mg and I want to know if it's ok to wake him up once at night to let him go to the toilet while taking this medication and if this medication is going to take a lot of time maybe months to see good results? Thank you.
In Topics: Physical Health, Bedwetting

|

Bed wetting or nocturnal enuresis is a common male problem.  It has been studied for over a century and the conclusion is: most children out grow it.  Usually at the time of puberty or sooner.  Sometimes it will stop when a previous generation relative who also had the condition stopped.  In other words, if dad wet the bed until he was seven, this child may stop at the same time.  Alarms sometimes work, but most of the time it is patience. Desmopression can work and yes, he can go use the toilet at night; however, time is the great healer. Good for you for seeing the doctor to rule out other causes.

0
0

Hand in Hand
Hand in Hand , Teacher, Caregiver, Parent writes:
Dear Nooreman:

I can't answer your questions about that medication, and I'm not sure any layperson should try to do so. You might ask this question of your doctor.

However, I have another way to help with bed wetting that has worked for many parents I've advised, so I thought I would volunteer it.

Often, the root of bed wetting goes back to fears that a child holds carefully inside his mind that were caused by events he didn't understand that happened when he was younger, perhaps even in infancy. These events caused his whole system to experience fear. When they were over, he went back to being OK, but the emotional mind still holds a packet of fear from that time. He doesn't feel that fear during the day so much, but it sneaks up in the middle of the night, while he's asleep, and it causes his body to react in fear mode, that is, to get ready to run. So children will perspire in the night, and they will wet the bed, as their body does this instinctive fear reaction.

One of the things that helps a child offload the fear he has stored away is good, safe physical play with lots of physical contact and laughter. So what we advise is to have a good half hour of pillow fights, roughhousing, jumping on beds, or trying to catch him with your 100 kisses for him, right before bedtime. This helps a child feel loved, feel hopeful, feel understood, and it helps him feel safe. Nuzzling, snuggling, wrestling so that more and more little cuddles are sprinkled in while the contest goes on, and making sure that the child always wins in the end are the secrets to helping a child during this kind of play.

For many families, a steady diet of wrestling before bed has lessened or even stopped bed wetting. For some children, it takes a few weeks, and others stop right away.

If your child gets hurt in the midst of this kind of play, stop, hold him, and listen while he cries. Let him cry as long as he wants to keep going, and love him while he does. The crying is part of the fear release process. It will help his overall well being, and will help with the fears that make him wet the bed.

Yours,

Patty Wipfler

0
1
Anonymous